Today is a very special day in the Sharp household here in Nashville. Not only is it Election Day, and University of Kentucky vs. Duke game day, but it’s also Evan’s 31st birthday. This year I’m feeling quite nostalgic, because it has been quite an adventurous year. First and foremost let me say how beyond grateful I am that we are here celebrating number 31. Not that I ever had any doubt in my guy, I knew he would withstand his greatest life test with grace, gratitude and resilience. But for me the fear of the unknown has lead me to a new, profound sense of happiness and belief that our God is an awesome God, and we are meant to continue celebrating life.
While we can’t be together today (life of a sales wife), I thought I would dedicate this post to my 31 year old husband, best friend, and fur baby daddy. Evan, you truly never stop amazing me. You have taught me so much about life, love and myself, that I may never be able to repay you. I intend to spend the next 100 birthday’s by your side, loving you and reminding you that your curls are perfect, your music selection is amazing, and your jokes are funny.
Of course I can’t let this post come to an end without sharing 31 things that you’ve taught me in the course of our time together. And may you never forget how much our little family admires you, adores you, and appreciates all of your hard work. Happy Birthday Ev!
Life Lessons From Ev: (in no particular order)
1. Laugh instead of stress – always make light of scary or hard situations. It could be worse, so why not find a way to smile and laugh?
2. Always have a stash of napkins readily available – you never know when you might need one from your back pocket.
3. You must never, ever buy another brand of toilet paper than Cottonelle (not sponsored) and it must roll from the top, never from the bottom.
4. Do not squeeze toothpaste from the top. Roll it up and squeeze from the bottom.
5. Love is simple and kind – don’t over complicate it or over think it.
6. Do not wash a man’s sweaters – those are dry clean only.
7. Don’t ask if your Instagram feed looks cohesive – he’s 100% lying because he doesn’t care
8. Dottie will forever be the best puppy, even if she pees in the house occasionally.
9. You can learn to do anything on YouTube – even fixing a flat tire.
10. Drain’o shouldn’t be used too often – I’ve got a thing for Drain’o
11. Friday’s are for Dateline, and Dateline only.
12. Be nice to yourself, you’re doing great – a lesson we all need to learn.
13. Always request chocolate cake for dessert.
14. You can be kind while also being strong – I’ve never met anyone with his amazing temperament.
15. ADHD is a blessing not a curse – just make sure they have their medicine :).
16. Someone should name their kid George but pronounce it as Bob – he’s so unsure of why people spell kid’s names so weird these days.
17. Now and forever you can blame any of his weirdness or funny behaviors on having a brain tumor.
18. Always expect a try on haul when new Maui Jim styles get delivered.
19. Good friends are one in a million, so send them memes all day and make them laugh.
20. Don’t touch or talk to a patient who just had a 12 hour brain surgery – Demo learned the hard way.
21. If you get more than two “I’m sorry I can’t hear you” responses, just move on – life will hopefully be easier / louder with hearing aids.
22. Listen to your spouse, and communicate often.
23. Work hard for your family – I’ve never seen someone be so driven to make his family succeed. We appreciate all of the over night’s, and long work nights at home sweet Ev.
24. Attendance policies for college classes are garbage – he would know!
25. Don’t ask him to give a speech at your best friend’s wedding – even if you are joking, he will never let you live it down.
26. Know when he says, Dugan or Stephen in the same sentence the story is about to get profoundly silly / profane / or confusing.
27. You can’t ask him where he’s from, it’s not a simple answer.
28. Count on him to help you, care for you, call you, pick you up, lend a hand, build you something, move you cross country, be your best bud, cheer you on, show you a new way of doing something.
29. If he’s lost, he’s probably in the card isle at Target.
30. Look at life like Buddy – He’s seriously a clone of Buddy the Elf – no joke, every day of life.
31. God is truly wonderful – because he led me to you and I’m eternally grateful.